2021 Journey to Memphis Entry Form
From the Blues Foundation, “The International Blues Challenge is for blues acts that are ready for the International Stage”
- Entry fee is $50 for solo/duo or $100 for a band (3 or more members). You may only enter in one format.
- Entries must be received by Monday July 19th 11:59pm. Please click Journey To Memphis and scroll to the bottom of the page to pay for your entry fee. After the entry fee is paid you will be redirected to upload your bio (including all names in your band) hi rez photo and songs or video performances. Be sure to choose the correct type of act. We cannot accept late entries.
- If you are unable to pay online, please contact us here to discuss alternatives by July 15th.
- Each act must have at least one person in the band who is a current member of the Cascade Blues Association. If you are not a member and would like to participate you can join the CBA here.
- Only acts located within these counties in Oregon (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington, Columbia, Yamhill, Polk, Clatsop, Tillamook, Lincoln, Hood River), and these counties in Washington (Clark, Cowlitz, Skamania) will be eligible to enter the CBA Journey To Memphis Competition in 2021.
- Any act or member of an act that has been nominated for or received a Blues Music Award from The Blues Foundation are ineligible to compete. No exceptions.
- Any act that has competed in the International Blues Challenge two consecutive years, regardless of whether with the same society or as a solo/duo or band act, must sit out a year before being eligible to compete again. Acts can only participate three times in Memphis (acts competing previous to 2017 receive grandfather status and may compete three times starting from 2017)
- We must be made aware of any member of the act who may be under 21 years of age at the time of the local competition, so the venue is aware ahead of time for Oregon or Washington Liquor Commission laws. Information must be received by July 16th here
- If any member of the act requires additional accommodations, please let us know here
- We require that any act that moves forward in the competition use the same band members with whom it won previous rounds. For example, if you won with a certain bass player or drummer at the competition that results in representing the CBA, that bassist and drummer must be in your band to compete in Memphis. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis in rare circumstances not under the control of the act, such as health issues.
- We do not prevent acts competing with the Cascade Blues Association from doing so with other societies or organizations. All we ask is that if you win another group’s competition before ours is held, or if you win ours before theirs, please remove yourself from further competitions to allow other acts the chance to win the right to go to Memphis.
- The competition this year is currently planned to be VIRTUAL, taking place at the Artichoke Music Performance Space, 2007 SE Powell, Portland, OR 97202. The location is subject to change if COVID restrictions allow an in-person event
- The event is scheduled for Saturday 9/11, Sunday 9/12 might be added depending on the number of acts wishing to compete. Times will be determined by the number of entrants. Acts are scored by a trio of judges selected for their background and knowledge of the Blues.
- We will not be holding a semi-final competition in 2021. The highest scoring solo/duo and highest scoring band will represent the CBA in Memphis in January 2022. IBC dates are January 18-22, 2022
Journey to Memphis Entry Fee
Please contact us if:
you need an alternate payment method,
you have an act member who is under 21 years,
any act member requires additional accommodations.